Visit the Karwendel nature conservation area, and discover rare flowers and a many natural monuments. Approximately 45 km of the best cared for and well signposted hiking trails are at your disposal.
Hiking pins in Gold /Silver / Bronze,
as well as hiking route maps and directions are free of charge! !
Information documents in the Tourist office. F.: +43 (0)512/268696.
It is situated on the edge of the Karwendel Alpine Park, after the Hohe Tauern National Park, the largest protected nature reserve in Austria.A short distance up from the centre of the market-town of Rum, near the Canisiusbrünnl Gasthof, there is a FREE car-park, which is also the starting point for numerous walks. And right beside it is the adventure playground, the Nature Adventure Trail, the trim trail and, newly-opened in 2008, Rum bare-foot track. From here it's only 15 minutes to the "7 Wege" (7-way) junction and then you turn right towards Garzan-Hof. The Rum Nature Trail, which you will reach after another 10 minutes, was laid out around this area. Descriptions of the region's botanical features are shown on notice-boards.
The chapel is situated on the western outskirts of the village of Rum. This friendly Baroque construction is thought to have been built during the 17th century. Above the entrance there is a fresco medallion, on which the Rose-Madonna is depicted.
Internally, the ceiling is adorned with a fresco depicting the Madonna, Johannes Nepomuk, and Florian, under which stands the chapel, immortalised with the neighbouring houses.
The Rum Marienkapelle was built as protection against the Rumer Mure (debris cones).Christmas time wax-figure crib dating from around 1800.
To the south west of the village, situated below the Rum village school, the modest construction of the “Pestkapelle Mary Visitation” lies in the fields.
It was erected (allegedly during the 17th century) to commemorate the plague years of 1611 and 1612, as the black death plague raged in Rum. Allegedly, the plague graveyard is situated in the vicinity of the chapel.
The first ever mention of a church in Rum was made purely by accident
in the year of 1337. The base walls of the presbytery originate from the
middle of the 13th century.
At that time, the church was still very small, and in the second half of the 15th century it was encompassed into the new construction.
The last of the three altars was consecrated in the year of 1499 - thus completing the new construction of the church, hence the 500th anniversary celebrations in 1999.
From outside, the church presents itself as a late gothic nave, with a slightly retracted chancel and a rectangular closure.
The gothic tower with gable peak, uncoupled round-arched acoustic windows, is attached to the vestry on the north side of the chancel. Inside the church, which is strongly baroque, the four bay nave and the arch remind one of construction during gothic times.
The Bildstoecke (picture stones), which can still be admired today on the Hall highway, were erected towards the end of the 16th century, at the same time as the Maria Loretto pilgrimage church in Thaur, donated by archduke Ferdinand II, was constructed.
15 renovated stone direction pillars, depicting modern representations of the rosary mystery along the new highway, accompany the devout pilgrims or interested guests to the pilgrimage site..
This cross was erected on a hill to the north west of the village, to commemorate the accession to the throne of Emperor Franz Joseph I in the year 1848, and renewed in the anniversary year of 1898.
During the year of revolution in 1848, the mother of the young ruler, archduchess Sophie, and his brothers, Ferdinand Maximilian (later emperor of Mexico), Karl Ludwig and Ludwig Viktor, who had all fled to Innsbruck, were reported to have visited Rum often.